Six German medical societies, four of which involve radiology, have released a statement highlighting a new strategy for handling stroke.
The document states that mechanical thrombectomy should be used for severe strokes if needed in conjunction with pharmaceutical thrombolytics.
The six societies that submitted the statement are listed below:
- German Stroke Society (DSG)
- German Neurological Society (DGN)
- German Society of Neuroradiology (DGNR)
- German Radiological Society (DRG)
- German Society of Interventional Radiology (DeGIR)
- Professional Association of German Neuroradiologists (BDNR)
"Mechanical thrombectomy should be performed only in hospitals with certified stroke units and by certified neuroradiologist and radiologists," said Dr. Christoph Groden, president of the DGNR.