The U.K. Royal College of Radiologists (RCR) has revised its advice on drafting outpatient letters, in which it lists 10 steps for radiologists to follow.
The tips include paying attention to the following:
- Being clear on why you are writing the letter
- Writing letters directly to the patient whenever possible
- Using headings throughout the letter
- Keeping the letter brief, clear, readable and relevant
- Making sure that information is up to date, accurate and unambiguous
- The treatment summary: a tool for the patient and handover of care
- Opinion, updated treatment plan and next steps
- Contact details
To read the full document, go to the RCR website.